Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Peace of Christ to you all.

The Sunday worship at Spanish Wells was wonderful.  I was heartily and graciously welcomed.  In many ways the congregation is similar to communities I have served in West Tennessee and Western Kentucky.  The dynamics of a small community are magnified on Spanish Wells because of the isolation imposed on an island community.  Add to this some of the self-imposed separation of Spanish Wells throughout its history.  The core of the congregation is passionate and committed to its life of faith and its tradition.  And they are struggling, like many, to raise up leaders from the ranks of younger disciples.

I felt it would be presumptuous of me to preach on anything other than a somewhat universal reflection on God's Good News.  The morning message was on Mark 4:35-41, the miracle of Jesus calming the storm.  The evening service brought a larger congregation than the morning, much to my surprise.  I was told that this is common on Spanish Wells.  (Not that word had spread like wildfire about the preacher at the Methodist Church!)  In the evening I preached a topical sermon on Silence, utilizing a half a dozen different scripture references.  I am not accustomed to topical preaching and I think it was a bit ragged in spots, but I believe it was faithfully delivered.  It was definitely received with grace, and perhaps mercy.  So much so that they ventured to give me another chance.  I was invited back to speak at the Tuesday evening service of Prayer and Praise.

I was feeling a bit sick at my stomach most of the day Tuesday.  I didn't try to work at the Children's Home at all.  I was enough better by the late afternoon that I was able to make my way to Spanish Wells for the evening.  The gathering was smaller.  The service was lead by one of the congregation's young adults.  It was truly a spirit of prayer and praise throughout the worship.  My message was on the story of Jesus healing blind Bartimaeus, Mark 10:46-52.  It served well in the context of personal and community prayer.  The storm of Sunday's text showed up Tuesday night.  We were in that ferry boat crossing back to mainland.  The storm didn't stop, but we were fearless!  Thank the Lord.

I confess that I felt very much at home in the pulpit.  However, I confess that there was an awkwardness that I can only attribute to lack of exercise and practice.  As evident as it must have been, the congregation expressed genuine gratitude for my presence and my ministry among them.  It was yet again the humbling experience of knowing that your offering has been received, blessed, and used far beyond the giver's reach.  Thank you, again, for all of your prayerful support.  The Methodist Church at Spanish Wells has said that they would like to have me back after I return.  And at least two of the regional Methodist churches want to have me as a participant in their preaching schedule when I get back.  This is very encouraging.  Thanks be to God.

I got word earlier today that the plane I will be flying back on is in Nassau today (not North Eleuthera). It will arrive at Governors Harbour tomorrow.  When Cameron (the pilot) flies back I will be going with her.  That will probably be Friday.  Alas, and did my plans change.  I will try to make a last minute post when I know the firm details of my return.  At that time, communication will be much easier and more immediate through my US phone.

Grace and peace,
Bing

No comments:

Post a Comment