Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I am surprised to realize it has been almost 2 weeks since my last post.  My apologies.  I will definitely post more often.  They may be shorter.  (Probably a good thing.)

Last week we lived with weather associated with Beryl.  It was 6 days of rain of various intensity.  No real stormy weather, though.  The laundry I did Saturday a week ago hung on the lines for a week and didn't dry until last Saturday.  I had hoped to visit Harbour Island last week, but the weather changed that plan.  The only real impact has been that I now have 2 bookmarks in my computer for NOAA storm tracking and Caribbean weather updates.

I worshipped at Governors Harbour Methodist this last Sunday.  It was a wonderfully familiar spirit.  The congregation was relatively small.  All the folks that were there are related, neighbors, or both.  They were very warm and hospitable in their welcome, eager to introduce themselves and their families.  The preacher was Martin Gaitor, who is a lay speaker from this congregation.  I met him after the service, and was pleased to know that he was instrumental in the beginnings of Methodist Habitat 20 years ago.  He is very well connected throughout the Methodist church on the island.  I believe that our paths will cross many times.


I went out to eat Sunday dinner.  At the restaurant, I saw a member of the Rotary Club who has been supportive of the work at Zion Children's Home.  She was asking about the progress because she intends to donate 4 original pieces of artwork by a local artist for the first cottage.  I am very excited about this, because the woman is an interior designer and does beautiful work.  I believe this will be a gift to the children of Zion Home in a lot of ways.


Monday was a holiday here in the Bahamas.  It was an occasion to see some of the cultural differences between North America and the "family islands" of the Bahamas.  Monday was not Memorial Day here.  It was the Monday after Pentecost -- Whit Monday.  It is a holiday here as it is in many churches and cultures outside of North America -- like Easter Monday and the day after Christmas.  And the holiday is a time to be with family and friends like anywhere -- the beach, the cooking, catching up with family, and a fair share of parties.  If you wanted some fresh snapper for the grill, it was available right here on the dock in James Cistern.



They spent about 3 hours out fishing.  In the boat you see behind him.  The boat comes in, the fish are cleaned, the word spreads, and those who want have fish.  Remarkably simple and efficient, in spite of what my eyes must surely not see.


I met John Baldwin, pastor at Harbour Island, yesterday.  Abraham took us all out surfing.  It was great to meet John.  We have already planned for some work and additional conversation when I move to the North Eleuthera area.  As for the surfing, well, we will see.  I rode the board on my belly for a few yards.  Definitely not a surfer, but any exercise is the surf is a good fatigue.

Grace and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment